Tips, News & Trends
Beauty Tips: How Do I Choose between BB Cream, CC Cream, BB Cushion & CC Cushion?
Photo from: www.dayre.me
When it first came to the makeup market, BB Cream was all the rage. Then CC Cream came out into the market, which was to help with color correcting, and its popularity also started to explode. Then the Korean makeup scene came out with BB CUSHIONS and CC CUSHIONS! Why are there so many options and which one should be used
BB Cream comes in varying types of finishes, typically dewy or a matte finish. BB Creams typically have good coverage, generally medium to high coverage. BB creams are like lighter versions of foundation (but heavier than tinted moisturizer), typically with skin care benefits such as SPF and anti-oxidants.
CC Creams, especially for Korean makeup, usually have lighter coverage and will very subtly even out skin tone. It is typically to help with skin coloration issues such as redness or sallowness/ yellowness. They come in a variety of colors as well to treat different skin tone issues.
There is not a huge difference in formulation with varying percentages higher typically in foundation coverage for BB creams and higher in SPF for CC Cream. Some say that CC cream is the improved version of BB cream since it has similar properties.
Here are the top most reviewed BB Creams & CC Creams on Amabie:
- Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream – Korean beauty brand Missha offers this BB Cream for natural-looking coverage while providing sun protection, treating dark spots and preventing wrinkles.
- Etude House Precious Mineral BB Cream Bright Fit – Korean beauty brand Etude House produced this BB cream to moisturize, sooth, protect and provide anti-aging and whitening benefits. It also includes SPF30.
- Banila Radiant CC Cream – Korean beauty brand Banila Co. created Radiant CC Cream as a whitening color control base, with moisturizing, soothing and evening skin tone benefits.
- 1028 Moisturizing CC Cream – Taiwanese beauty brand 1028 offers this CC Cream to hydrate the skin while correcting skin's dullness, redness, and other imperfections.
Cushion Foundation, BB Cushions & CC Cushions:
Cushions are one of the newest Korean makeup trends that have hit the Western makeup scene in just the past couple of years. There is a large variety amongst cushions since they can hold foundation, BB Cream or CC Cream and offer the same function of coverage and/or color correction. Cushions are a complete package with a soft puff, mirror and product, which makes it very convenient for traveling. They typically offer a dewy finish, but some recent ones now offer matte finish.
The Korean cushions are so lightweight they are even sometimes referred to as "Air Cushions." Some argue that BB cushions and CC cushions have the same formula as regular foundations. Aside from formulation which is essentially the same (BB cushion is the cushion form of a BB cream), generally packaging for cushions are more attractive than for BB Creams and CC creams since the cover can be decorated as well as the puff and even the interior cushion itself! They are adorable and make for amazing Instagram photos!
Examples of the attractive cushion packaging available in the Korean makeup market:
Photo from: The Face Shop
Here are Amabie's top 2 most reviewed cushions:
- IOPE Air Cushion XP – the first air cushion to popularize cushions by Korean beauty brand IOPE! This cushion-type foundation is made with mineral water XP and Siberian Peptide 6 Selection to provide hydrated, radiant and smooth skin all day (as well as wrinkle care). It also provides SPF50+ to offer skin protection.
- Laneige BB Cushion SPF50+ – This is a brightening BB Cushion by Korean beauty brand Laneige. This BB cushions provides skin coverage with moisturizing and UV protection benefits.
So which should you be using?
Like with any makeup product, it truly depends on your level of comfort. Some prefer to use BB creams or CC creams when they want to target specific areas for spot coverage. If you're someone who is used to using liquid foundation with a beauty blender, this might be more comfortable for you. For someone who likes to use puffs like in powder foundation, you may like using BB Cushions and CC Cushions since the action is similar, though more blending will be needed. You may also like BB cushions or CC cushions because of their convenient packaging. There's a large variety within each depending on what type of coverage and skin care benefits you're trying to achieve.
Article Published: January 11, 2017
Amabie.com is a review site for Korean makeup, Korean skin care, and other Asian beauty products. It's the best way to blog and share your Asian skincare reviews!